Wednesday 19 May, 2010

Bad Habits Die Hard, But They Do.

Whenever he'd come home I used to dread. It was a daily routine for me. I was very fun loving and full of life during his absence. But the enjoyment never lasted for long. Whatever one tried to say him, he'd never grasp it and would do exactly opposite to it.

After my high school, I joined my college in a different city. Not because it was best for the stream I chose but because I wanted to go far away from his sight and reach at any cost. Those days at my college were the best of my life. I lived my childhood along with my youth at the same time because I never got to understand before what does childhood mean.

But, then, again I had to come back at this very place. Now I was no more afraid of him. In fact, not of anybody. Now I was a man and I knew how to defend self and others too.

I was expecting same behavior from him like before. But what I saw was beyond my understanding. He hugged me tightly in his arms. Blessed me and apologized for all the mistakes of the past. I couldn't understand what was going on till he uttered,"Son, I've realized that I was wrong. I didn't give you a single chance to live your childhood. I remember how I used to fight everyday with your Mom and you. Just a bad habit can make you a bad person, I know now. My habit of daily drinking was one I couldn't help. But now everything is on track. I know I never hugged you like this before. It may seem stupid to you but, yes, I'm changed and changed for good. Please forgive me my son."

Before I could react, my eyes reacted. Tears started flowing my eyes. I couldn't pacify myself and replied,"Dad, how easily you said that you have changed for good. But can you bring my childhood back? Can you bring back the smile on Mom's face? Can you call us a family? Can you?"


No answer I could read in his eyes. Only repent poured down from his eyes. I hugged him back and we cried together. I couldn't forgive him but what could I do. He was my father after all.






P.S. - It is only a fiction for me but its a bitter reality for a huge part of the society we live in.




15 After Thoughts:

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

A very interesting look into a culture that is foreign of mine. thank you for the look inside.

pia said...

too many people live with parents who abuse something and never apologize for the past. He was lucky in a way

Angel said...

Well, that was happy and sad at the same time.

Zave said...

Alls well that ends well.
The scars remain however, and that is worse.
At least it would be better to relive the future if not the past.

Sylvia K said...

I think there are many today who can so relate to what you have written and it is indeed more common than we would like to believe. I can relate, as my childhood is something I try never to think about.

Well done as always.

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

So very true Deepak , you have taken a different take on topic and indeed its very good :) or should i call it as a bitter reality which is a part of our society ...

I dont know whether i am wise enuf to point ur mistakes , for I am no good at language myslef , but I felt some parts werent right , please check on with who is profound in it :)
1.Title - i felt it should come as but they do instead of plain do
2.I become dreaded would sound better if replaced as I used to dread
3.one tries to say as one tried to say
4.to go far -> to go far away
5.No answer -> I couldnt read any answers except the repents ..

I really am not sure of the above point , but do check on with some expert :) Sorry if it hurt you , didnt have any intention to point fingers at ur post , coz its really well , jsu felt to say u wat i thot i shld :)

Deepak said...

@ adreamygal: thanx a lot for pointing out the mistakes. i have corrected them all except last one. actually when i was writing that post it was time for me to sleep so i didnt bother much about the grammer and didnt even check it before clicking the publish button. thanx a lot.

Deepak said...

Thank you everyone

Timothy P. Remp said...

We can not choose our parents but we can choose our paths in life. Well done.

-Tim

Mine is here: http://timremp.blogspot.com/

Deepak said...

@ timothy: so very true. thank u

Vivekanand M said...

Although closure is a far way off, it is happy to see that you have atleast set them on the path to it.

WritingsForLife said...

well at least there is repent in this story but in real life usually there isnt any.

Its just the childhood for one, for some it is their whole life they lose because of one family member. Sigh.

Dee Martin said...

This leaves one hoping that the family will heal now.

Nic. said...

Nice one, loved it.
A few lines spoke to me...

Deepak said...

@ vivek: thanx very much.

@ raajii: true. thanks a lot.

@ martin: i hope so too. thanx

@ nic: glad u liked it. thanx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...